Friday, August 14, 2009

Updates or catch up???

I haven't posted in awhile and for good reason. Between traveling for work, having a 5 month old to look after, and getting in some training, I haven't had a lot of time to sit down at the computer and plug away with any updates.

I won't bore you with any of my race reports, and quite frankly, don't have the time to write about the races that I did this past summer anyways. If I had to evaluate the season so far, I would put it as average to above-average with regards to what I wanted to achieve and what the end results have been. My goal this year was to focus on my family and fit in workouts where I can.

I feel my fitness is coming along and I feel fresh for this time of the year. In 2007, I had a big July build and then went flat in August. I trained through August but with little enthusiasm. I also had a three week taper the past three years and I am changing that to a two week taper to eliminate between flat...my body seems to respond better when I am doing either a lot of intesity or larger volumes.

So what has been my plan for 2009...stepping back a bit, sorry!

1. Stay healthy and fresh throughout the season
2. Focus on speedwork...especially with regards to running
3. Stay even on the bike....it doesn't matter if you can bike a 5:00 IM split if you run a 4:10 marathon
4. Build month switch from July to August....seems to be working a lot better
5. Two week taper vs. three week....everyone is different, but I need to stay sharp all the way up to race day and this hasn't happend in 3 years.
6. Enjoy racing......which I have and it is amazing how much less I have done and have gotten better results by being patient on the bike and working the run.....I used to shatter myself on the bike and hope.........hope never has been a good strategy!

That's all for now, but will continue to post more as we come closer to IMWI.

1 comment:

KyleKaboom said...

Sweet. Didn't know you were racing IM this year and just happened to drop in. I'm not racing but will be at IMOO spectating and volunteering with my tri club at the bike station in Cross Plains. Our theme this year is Vegas, baby, Vegas.
See you there.
Enjoy the taper.
-Kyle
Chicago